By W. Geller, H. Klapper, M. Schultze (auth.), Prof. Dr. Walter Geller, Prof. Dr. Helmut Klapper, Prof. Dr. Wim Salomons (eds.)
Acidification is a common challenge in any respect mining websites within which oxygenated water is available in touch with sulfide minerals or different lowered sulfur compounds. a world Workshop used to be held in September 1995 on the division for Inland Water examine of the UFZ-Centre for Environmental examine in Magdeburg at the limnology of lakes created via open-cast lignite mining, emphasizing the usually saw geogenic acidification after oxidation of pyrite. themes of curiosity have been case stories at the limnology of acid lakes, e.g. bacteriologically superior approaches on the topic of heavy steel mobilization and acid new release, the ecology of sulfur-acidic lakes, and at the inorganic methods of acidification. moreover, innovations for the prevention and the abatement of acidification have been addressed together with the reasons of acidification, and the choices for decreasing the output of acidified groundwater from overburden dumps, for acid keep watch over in the course of the flooding of open-cast mines, and power measures for triggered in situ organic neutralization. This quantity has 25 chapters together with a bankruptcy with result of staff discussions concerning the subject matters pointed out above and additional difficulties that have been pointed out through the assembly. The monograph offers a baseline of the country of technological know-how at the around the globe challenge of geogenic adidification of lakes following human mining actions, and the way to deal with this environmental problem.
Read Online or Download Acidic Mining Lakes: Acid Mine Drainage, Limnology and Reclamation PDF
Similar mining books
The 1st in depth research of experience of position in American mining cities, this booklet presents infrequent perception into the struggles and rewards of existence in those groups. David Robertson contends that those groups - frequently characterized in scholarly and literary works as derelict, as assets of debasing ethical impression, and as scenes of environmental decay - have a robust and enduring feel of position and feature even embraced many of the indicators of so-called dereliction.
As soon as regarded as area of interest expertise, operators this day are using extra possibilities with casing and liners as formations and environments develop in hassle, particularly with the radical oil and fuel increase. Casing and liners for Drilling and Completions, second version presents the engineer and good clothier with updated details on serious homes, mechanics, layout fundamentals and most up-to-date purposes for today’s form of good.
The BTS Specification for Tunnelling has develop into the normal record for tunnelling contracts, and types the root of tunnelling requirements for initiatives during the international. The specification has been revised during this 3rd variation to mirror present top perform and to take account of the various advances within the box of tunnelling that have happened over the past decade.
- Mathematical methods and modelling in hydrocarbon exploration and production
- Graphical Models: Representations for Learning, Reasoning and Data Mining, Second Edition (Wiley Series in Computational Statistics)
- The Impact of Mining on the Landscape: A Study of the Upper Silesian Coal Basin in Poland
- Coal Exploration, Mine Planning and Development
- Constraint-Based Mining and Inductive Databases: European Workshop on Inductive Databases and Constraint Based Mining, Hinterzarten, Germany, March 11-13, 2004, Revised Selected Papers
- Mineral Processing Technology. An Introduction to the Practical Aspects of Ore Treatment and Mineral Recovery
Extra resources for Acidic Mining Lakes: Acid Mine Drainage, Limnology and Reclamation
5. Relation of ionic strength and pH (mean value). 5) were not considered for calculating ionic strength (for explanation see text) 3 Chemical Characteristics of Water and Sediment in Acid Mining Lakes 33 precise distribution of dissolved metal species such as Fe3+ or Fe( OH)i and others is still unknown, the concentrations of iron and aluminium were not considered for calculating the ionic strength. 7 mS/cm. Negative correlations with pH were observed for iron, manganese, aluminium and zinc (Fig.
During mining activity, the groundwater level was lowered beneath the mining surface (Oertel 1976). 1. The investigation site. 1. Flooding state of the lakes Lake Start of flooding End of flooding Edelmann Murner Bruckel Au Linden 1964 1979 1980 1982 1982 1979 1989 1994 <1999 <2002 Actual maximum depth (m) Intended maximum depth (m) Final lake area (ha) 10 10 45 40 26 12 45 40 30 18 90 145 121 24 11 The symbol < denotes that flooding is planned to be finished before the year specified. 1). All lakes receive groundwater from the same aquifer.
G. Stumm and Morgan 1981). The correlation between the pH and the sum of ions may reflect the degree and extent of mass input and pyrite dissolution in the surrounding rocks (soil). The dissolution rate for many minerals is strongly pH-dependent and has a minimum around pH 6 -7. Moreover, dissolution rates can be enhanced by accompanying elements such as iron or aluminium (Appelo and Postma 1993). Decreasing pH in these lakes is associated with an increase in dissolved solids as well as iron and aluminium.